Work in Progress - orchid
I am determined to finish this.

When I started this drawing, this blossom was drawn from life. Good thing I remembered to take photos of it. Colored pencil drawings always take a lot of time for me. I agonize over color combinations and whether or not I have the right pencil. And when I do find the right pencil, rest assured that when I'm left with nothing but a little nubbin, the store doesn't have that color in stock. And if they do, the lead isn't straight.

Yes, I am picky about my lead. It has to be centered on both ends, preferably with the wooden shaft of the pencil not halved. So even if I come across a dozen pencils in the display at the art store, I look through all of them. If I'm lucky, one or two will actually be centered. Even my husband knows how to do this. We are a much more efficient team going through the colored pencil display, our fists prickling with pencils being inspected from both ends. Honestly, this isn't some weird eccentricity on my part. The leads break less when they're centered.

Then of course, there is layering. I love the zen aspect of trying to make thin glazes of color. It's similar to watercolor in that respect. The pencil moves slowly across the page leaving a bloom of color in its wake. Since I'm using a darker paper, I have to use a lot of white in a "reverse grisaille" process so that lighter colors don't lose their punch. Then there is the constant and necessary pauses to sharpen the pencil into a fine point. Somehow I love these small rituals. I may sometimes complain about how long a piece takes, but I secretly love the slow pace of it all.

Orchid WIP detail
And miles to go...
5 Responses
  1. Xearts Says:

    Reverse grisaille seems to make a beautiful effect. I'm looking forward to seeing it as it's finished, as much as I am to when it's complete.


  2. lillalotta Says:

    I just love it!
    I have done some illustrations with merely ink dots before, highly decorative. It took so long, but loved the therapy feeling. Yours looks so beautiful and can not wait to see it finished.


  3. The Dutchess Says:

    I have taken more than a few drawing classes, and this is the first time I have heard about the lead situation. It makes SO MUCH SENSE! Thanks for the tip!


  4. Jennifer Says:

    I secretly love the slow pace of it all in what I make. Understand how you feel!


  5. Rachel Says:

    Oh I COMPLETELY understand the "straight lead" dilemma! The whole first part of my art life was spent as a colored pencil artist. At one time I was the CPSA's youngest member. The ritual you speak of had me craving to put a pencil back in my hand as its been many years. There is something very zen about losing yourself in the zone of layers of pencil color and the sound of the sharpener! Oh thank you for this post! It's brought back great memories for me ��