The School - angelfish
The School - Angelfish

In trying to depict things that look realistic, I often forget the joy of just letting my imagination take over. Sometimes it's best to let the younger you back in to draw and paint patterns with abandon and plunk down outrageous colors. I wish I still had my first coloring book to look back upon. I had colored a huge elephant on a page with no regard for the implied boundaries of that black outline nor an apparent forethought for color. I chose whatever colorful crayon beckoned and laid down a few bold swatches of color. Sure, I had a patchwork elephant - but I was HAPPY. And really, the elephant looked happy too.

So yes, while I will always want to attempt the realism of miniature roses, there are also times when the little me just needs to come out and play. Not everything needs to be a masterpiece. The weirdly wild and wonderful can sometimes happen when you just let go of rules and preconceived notions. So there! I give myself permission to play. I have a whole school of fish that says I haven't forgotten how to.

The School - happy fish
Such a happy little face needs a name.

The School - whale
I couldn't resist including a whimsical (but not a fish) whale.
4 Responses
  1. eileen Says:

    OHHHHyessss, PLAY is very necessary. And very often, one comes up with keepers. :)


  2. lillalotta Says:

    Oh I do that! I stop myself from enjoying painting, because the painting has to be "correct" and it is an awful feeling. Your painting here definitely looks happy, very sweet! x


  3. JS DANIEL Says:

    I agree 100% percent!! And just love the painting!


  4. Ces Adorio Says:

    These are terrific!