Art Journaling again
I've missed this book.

This journal is a favorite of mine, though you probably couldn't tell that from how infrequently I've done entries into it. It's a gorgeous book found years ago in a Door County store that has sadly closed down. So gorgeous in fact that I thought it was destined to remain on the shelf forever. You know what they say - the nicer the book, the more intimidating it is to fill up.

A few years ago however, I decided that blank books really do need to be used until they just gape open, pages wrinkled from wet washes and bursting with color. So I took this one off the shelf and dove into it. And there are certainly times when the words "diving into it" seems appropriate. Particularly since I once spilled some red acrylic paint onto our bedroom carpet while pre-painting a background page and it looked like a garish murder scene for a little bit there.

Art Journal with my favorite pens
My pens and brushes, my old stand-bys.

I finally got back to my art journal this weekend and realized how much I've missed the dual act of making art and writing. Some of the paintings, like the one on the right page, have been there for a while. I work ahead at times and leave room for text. The cutout from a tea packet on the left-hand page was also there before I started all the other sketching and writing around it.

And since I've been enjoying small paintings so much, I found some time yesterday to hand bind a very small watercolor book to carry around with me. This is what happens when you happen to wake up at 5:30 in the morning and can't fall back asleep. Tiny books appear!

Tiny watercolor sketchbook
A tiny watercolor sketchbook for my tiny paintings.

After my husband and I had a nice lunch yesterday, we stopped by the art store for a few things. He found a purple bag in the clearance section. I have to love a man who not only comes to the art store with me, but actively finds things for me to get! It's big, and sturdy, and will work well for workshops. Everything else I bought is on the small side. It seems to suit my current penchant for painting cutely-sized things.

My little haul for the day.
Just a few wee things. See my new purple bag?

I love good weekends.
7 Responses
  1. ADiaz Says:

    Ooo, I like that small Strathmore visual journal. Haven't seen those yet. Cool size.


  2. Bea Says:

    Your journal is so beautiful!!


  3. Rain Says:

    @Annie - I can't wait to use this little size to see how it works.

    @Bea - Thanks so much! :D


  4. ruth Says:

    I'm definitely a small-scale girl myself. It may be my inability to focus on anything for too long and my need for instant gratification. Heh.

    Beautiful photographs, by the way.


  5. Rain Says:

    Ruth - I go in phases. I love tiny things and then I'll have moments when I want to paint very, very large. The only thing stopping me is the cost of the canvas. LOL

    But yes, gotta love that instant gratification. And thank you for the nice comments. :)


  6. Koosje Koene Says:

    Your journal is amazing! You inspired me for my own journal in which i make a drawing everyday mostly with pencils or pens. But you're right about those blank pages that must be filled untill the pages get all crinkly bu the paint...


  7. Rain Says:

    Koesje, thank you so very much! I'm happiest when other people get the urge to start painting and drawing too. Let's all be on a mission to use up all those blank pages! :)