How I wish I could have been faster at getting this week's Illustration Friday up. My initial goal was to get it up by Tuesday at the very latest. That plan didn't work out so well. I had several concepts in mind but none of them were working. I need to be having fun when I paint. I tried going down the route of spooky and menacing. Nope, that didn't work. In the end, this one just felt right and was a blast to paint.
Some new challenges with this project - I was trying out new paper for this illustration. I sometimes work out my ideas on regular drawing paper, so going from that to good paper always takes a little getting used to. So far, I like this paper, though I shouldn't allow myself to get too attached. I don't think they make it anymore. Don't you hate that? Just when you find some art supply that you like, the company goes ahead and discontinues it? I'm still mourning the loss of Fabriano Ingres paper.
Today was so hot that I kept looking at my wash water, trying to resist the urge to pour it over my head to cool off. Also, I couldn't have my iced tea anywhere near where I was working. I'm almost out, and in this weather that tea is too precious to dunk my brush into accidentally. Thank goodness tomorrow should be cooler.
And here is what I was tempted to post while being lazy. An old painting with shadows already on it! It's been a long while since I've painted in oils.

Gorgeous colors--in both the watercolor and the oil of the cherries. I didn't know they'd discontinued that paper. It's been so long since I've bought paper, but I still have some left..... I sure know what you mean.
great job with shadows. both of them . but the cats are so cute too
Thanks, Coreopsis. And yes, they've discontinued Fabriano Ingres. That was a sad day when I found that out. They had such lovely colors too.
jasperandblue - thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. It's always nice to get feedback. :)
So! I guess we both love cats : )
I love your colors and the whole whimsical look you achieved : ) so sweet!
And the cherries were what I was having when drawing : ) yummy!
What an elegant style you have. Gorgeous.
Pia
Lovely juicy colours, I like your idea. The cherries are beautiful too!
Thank you *so much* for taking the time to do something new for the challenge. I'm really getting P.O.ed by all the folks who just throw an old piece up whether it has anything to do with the prompt or not. My interpretation of IF is that it's the challenge that's important, the nudge for creativity, not the final product.
Sorry for the rant!
(I loved your kitties and the colors, BTW).
@Rumisu - Yes, you caught me. We both love cats. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment. Apparently we both like cherries too. ;)
@Pia - Thank you for the lovely comment. I appreciate it.
@Cathy - Thank you! I can't resist adding colors. Hmm...perhaps I should try a limited palette and see what happens then? :D
@Sandy Sue - No, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! :) I do understand how you feel. I do IF to challenge myself. It takes me a few days to finish at times, but I really like the process so far. To me it's about making something new and stretching myself.
Love the color sense in both paintings.
Nice colorful cat!! you have a differance way to present the "Shadows" word. So cute and I love your illustration.
thanks for the visit and kind comments, I loooooooove these cherries, such luscious colors :)
I like how you posted two different styles to interpret this week's theme. It's always very interesting to see how other people approach their work in different mediums, both equally beautiful, here! :o)
lol I accidentally dipped my brush in my latte this morning. Not cool :-P
I miss the days when I had time to play with oils on canvas. It's been a long time for me too. Your artwork is absolutely beautiful!